Trimming the chaff in preparation for a sale

The neighbor and I decided to have a garage sale a while ago, and now that our tentative date is approaching I buckled down this morning and tackled my bedroom and the stuff in a closet.  I also cleaned out my mahogany trunk since that is on the agenda to be sold as well.  There are things I'm selling/getting rid of I've packed around for...decades.  I am trying to unshackle myself from stuff, things I have held onto because I was given them by relatives with the idea I think that I was to be the keeper of the family "stuff", the person most likely to have large family gatherings, something.  While on paper that seemed okay, in reality it is not me.  So I am getting rid of it hoping to declutter my house and life. 

Some of this is bittersweet; my mom's little Juliet wedding veil which has stayed in my trunk since she passed in 1993, some baby clothes of my mothers and I believe my uncle, a clutch purse from Mom's Emblem club days, my Barbie stuff (I know, but I couldn't get rid of it), and plenty of books and cookbooks I've had forever.

What has spurred me on is recalling my parents doing the same thing about my current age.  Got rid of all the might-have-to-needs and other miscellaneous stuff for the eventuality of their passing and making it less work for us.  And when they did pass, I was grateful they thought ahead to do this.  Kind of morbid I know, but a necessary evil. 

I will work thru the rest of the house over the next several days trying to trim the stuff.  I already feel...lighter.

Comments

Popular Posts